This Saturday, we will be back in New York City for a special screening of Univision’s new education documentary “Luchando por el Éxito” (Fighting for Success). The documentary, produced by Univision Network News, follows the lives of several students through the school year and shines a light on the obstacles young Latino/as face as they navigate the school system. Throughout the film, experts, including ACT, help address questions that arise across critical grade levels. The film is produced in Spanish (with English subtitles) and covers a wide range of topics including:
- Advocacy for special programs for migrant children,
- Building relationships with your child’s teachers,
- Understanding your rights and the school’s responsibilities,
- Discussing your child’s educational progress and college options with school counselors,
- Exploring and understanding college financing options, and
- Learning about support systems available at the college and community for all students, including undocumented students.
This film will air nationwide on June 25 at 5:00 P.M. EDT on the Univision channel. You can preview the student’s stories here.
Following the screening, we will join NYC’s Department of Education leadership and NYC Schools Chancellor Fariña on a panel with students and families from the film to discuss the barriers they had to overcome to complete their education and succeed.
Throughout the day, Univision TV and radio celebrities will share their experiences as immigrants. Families can also enjoy face painting, a photo booth, popcorn, music, lunch, and more. For updates on Saturday’s event, follow me on twitter @juang353 and follow us @ACTEquity.
The event is being hosted by the NYC Department of Education’s Division of Family and Community Engagement, Univision Network, and Community School District 9.
Our partnership with Univision has been a huge success, reaching national audiences, to make sure Hispanic students and families know what resources are available and the right steps to take for educational success. We look forward to this event and advancing our mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success.