This fall, students across the country will be submitting college applications and celebrating their plans for the future. Hundreds of thousands of them will do so when schools in all 50 states and the District of Columbia host American College Application Campaign (ACAC) events. To celebrate college application season and our students, ACAC encourages participating in the #WhyApply social media campaign.
What is #WhyApply Day?
#WhyApply (to college) Day is sponsored by the American College Application Campaign, an initiative of ACT’s Center for Equity in Learning, which partners with thousands of high schools across the country each fall to host events supporting students through the college application process, especially first-generation college students and those from low-income families who may not otherwise apply to college. This year we anticipate more than 7,000 high schools hosting application completion events between September and December.
To celebrate the more than 700,000 students who will participate in these application events, #WhyApply Day kicks off the application season and provides encouragement for the students. Though state campaigns and local events will run from September through December, the goal of #WhyApply Day is to kick off the season and to utilize social media to encourage students as they begin the application process.
Want to share your ideas or learn more on how to participate? On Thursday, September 10, join us on Twitter for a #WhyApply Twitter chat. The purpose of this Twitter chat is for counselors and educators to share tips and resources for how they will support students this college application season.
How to show your support
On Friday, September 18, 2020, ACAC encourages everyone to wear your college gear (t-shirt, hats, pins, etc.) and share why you believe students should apply to college and/or why you applied to college, using the hashtag #WhyApply. Then share your response on your favorite social media platform (TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). Encourage your friends, family, and colleagues to do the same. Not sure what to post? You might:
- Type a short response in your status
- Make a video of yourself, your kids, or your friends answering the question
- Draw a picture depicting your reasons
- Write your answer on a piece of paper (feel free to use the #WhyApply template provided) and post a photo of you holding it
- Share an image or photo with your reason
How to Promote #WhyApply
Social Media Engagement
The following resources are to help you understand how to engage with #WhyApply on an organization's or personal social media channels.
The following resources are read-to-use graphics for an organization or personal social media channels.
- College App Checklist - Facebook
- College App Checklist - Twitter
- College App Checklist - Instagram
- Earn More - FaceBook
- Earn More - Twitter
- Earn More - Instagram
- Senior Year Checklist - FaceBook
- Senior Year Checklist - Twitter
- Senior Year Checklist - Instagram
- Workforce - FaceBook
- Workforce - Twitter
- Workforce - Instagram
- Volunteerism - FaceBook
- Volunteerism - Twitter
- Volunteerism - Instagram
- First Generation Students - FaceBook
- First Generation Students - Twitter
- First Generation Students - Instagram
- Employment - FaceBook
- Employment- Twitter
- Employment - Instagram
- Bottle cap challenge - FaceBook
- Bottle cap challenge - Twitter
- Bottle cap challenge - Instagram
- Netflix - FaceBook
- Netflix - Twitter
- Netflix - Instagram